Taiwan’s indigenous cultures take centre stage in this series of Island Folklore. Series V presents five tales from the diverse and fascinating Austronesian cultures of the Taiwanese highlands. Enjoy!
- Stories are published on dates listed beside their titles.
- New posts roll out fortnightly on Thursdays at 9:00 AM Eastern.
- Island Folklore is made possible by the generous contributions of our sponsors.
- Red Cloak (7 December 2017)
As newcomers settled in Taiwan, they faced the terror of the island’s notorious headhunters.
- Downing the Sun (21 December 2017)
An ancient Atayal tale that tells of two suns in the sky and the hero who shot one down.
- Sun Moon Lake (4 January 2018)
The indigenous folktale on the origin of the beautiful Sun Moon Lake of Taiwan.
- The Old Chieftain (18 January 2018)
The story of an old Taiwanese chieftain who dared to march against the Empire of Japan.
- The Sun King’s Lost Kingdom (1 February 2018)
17th-c. Dutch and Chinese tales of a powerful Taiwanese realm—the Kingdom of the Midday’s Sun.